[Sussex] Canadian "Open Source" licence for creative works completed

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 12:58:55 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Many of you may be aware of this:

> In harmony with the GNU/Linux philosophy of making software free and
> shareable, the USA Creative Commons project came up with licenses
> for allowing artistic works to be copied, shared, and modified.
> Unfortunately, the wording of those licenses is necessarily specific
> to USA law, and they don't quite work in Canada (or other countries).

Well, the "Canadian port" of the legal work is now complete, and there is therefore a "free" (as in beer) licence for creative works valid in Canadian law. The "launch party" is happening in a couple of weeks time.

http://www.cippic.ca/en/projects-cases/icommons-canada/

Would anyone have any objection to my sending an "official note of congratulations from the Sussex Linux Users Group" on our behalf?

If so, I'll post a draft here first.

I think it's important that we recognise this kind of initiative "as a group" as well as as individuals...

Mark