[Sussex] New & fairly incompetent Linux user

Paul Baines paul.baines at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:43:34 UTC 2004

Hiya, I'm a new(ish) Linux user in Sussex & just signed up to the
mailing list. Just to be slightly irritating my first post is a plea
for help! I've been trying & trying to sort out my dial-up internet
connection but I can't make it at all reliable. It generally takes
about five attempts to connect and then it usually hangs after the
first page is loaded. It will normally work if I perservere for long
enough though so I don't understand why? I dial-up via KPPP and my ISP
is UKLinux.net (I wouldn't have thought it was an ISP problem though),
the DNS servers are manually configured & set to the correct addresses
(i think!) but still no reliability. Sometimes it's fine though,
somebody suggested that perhaps I need to lock /etc/resolv.conf and
stop KPPP overwriting it each time. Does that sound plausible? Any
suggestions greatly appreciated from all you knowldegable people!

Paul.