[Sussex] Licences

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Sep 18 15:43:49 UTC 2004

Steve,

I can't really push this in Sarah's direction, her firm act on behalf of
several companies who are involved at least indirectly with the case -
it really wouldn't be appropriate for her to comment publically.

I can try and answer from my own knowledge and discussions... so AFAIK
I'm afraid the answer is long and complex, but boils down to "it
depends", which is the main reasons law firms still flourish ;-)

Obviously US law is completely different from EU law which in turn is
not the same as domestic law... ho hum...

So far as I understand it the simplest case is where the breach of
contract between company A and B happened prior to A licensing derived
works to C.  In this case there is no contract between A and C at all
because you can only offer something that is legally yours to offer.
This would not be the case if A's contract with B was in breach at that
point.

Any other situation is extremely difficult to judge and would require
way more research of the case specifics than a casual inquiry could merit.

With the IBM v. SCO case it looks very likely that SCO have no evidence
of a breech on IBM's part anyway (an independent assessment at MIT shows
no evidence of any works derived from SCO code) .  It looks increasingly
like SCO's case could be on the receiving end of a summary judgment and
dismissal before the year is out.  I suggest that you send an e-mail to
the guys at Groklaw if you want a more in depth discussion of the
specifics of this case.

As for the threat to Linux - well, that's almost gone already, so we
should all be sleeping a little easier right now anyhow.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology