[Sussex] Skype

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Fri Sep 24 06:42:46 UTC 2004

Hi

> Has any managed to get Skype working in Linux?
>
> http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/

Oh yes, and I have taken out a small subscription to SkypeOut - their
PSTN gateway.

Messaging is OK but I prefer ICQ.

Box to box (Linux or Windows) provided one side has broadband and the
other has a _good_ dial-up then quality is acceptable though it's a bit
like calling the moon. Both sides with braodband is useable (I do use it
daily with a programmer I work with who is in Russia).

Using the PSTN gateway - well, I might ask for my money back. I can't
get a call to route to any mobiles and the quality and flow to
land-lines is very poor - often so poor that conversation is impossible.
Their gateway generates some non-standard details in the
call-line-indicator and so can cause odd displays (or crashes!) for
showing who is calling.

That said - it seems easier than anything VoIP that I've tried before
and I have used it broadband to broadband with a webcam. At least they
are roughly in sync!

--
Best wishes,
Derek