[Sussex] New & fairly incompetent Linux user

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Tue Sep 28 20:21:36 UTC 2004

I recommend Slackware, as no one else has <sob>.
Everything works, but it's easy to mess around with, compiling random
packages from source as, because the packaging system's so basic, you
don't have to faff around with .spec files or whatever - just use e.g.
checkinstall.

Obviously, you lose out on some of the "magic" that you get with some
other distros, but I reckon the tradeoff is worth it.
This is especially true for me, because I also have only crappy dialup,
and this way, I can use packages straight of Linux Format cover DVDs
etc. without having to go searching the net for rpms or debs.

Of course, I may be wrong...