[Sussex] Distros

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Mon Apr 4 18:44:13 UTC 2005

Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> writes:

> Quoting Matthew Garret:
> 	 If I submit a patch to GCC including documentation with an
> 	 invariant section describing why "Open Source" is a preferable
> 	 term to "Free Software", the invariant section must be included
> 	 if my documentation is to be used. Theoretically, this may not
> 	 be an issue - pragmatically, it results in a situation where a
> 	 patch under the same license as the original documentation
> 	 cannot be accepted.

Exactly!  Simply put, you have the freedom to do that and the license
is designed in such a way that allows it.

I do understand the issues you've raised, and I appreciate where the
Debian movement is coming from, I just also know what the GFDL is
about and I know it's not an issue that goes away just by saying it's
OK to GPL everything.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation