[Sussex] Distros

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Apr 5 14:50:41 UTC 2005

Geoff

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:58:01AM +0100, Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:
> Indeed.  Currently the most pressing priorities listed on the FSF
> web site are:
>
> FreeBIOS
> Developing the gplFlash project further.
> Developing the GCC java compiler.
> Developing the GNU classpath libraries.
>
> ... it's shocking that the community can develop free .NET so quickly
> but is dragging it heels so much on Java.

But I would argue (well I do argue a lot don't I) that while Java may not
be free the spec it is written against is (all be it controlled by Sun).
And Sun do at least release Java for a free platform so a Java users need
not be tied to a particular propriety platform.

On the other hand by providing a free version of .NET one allows a much
greater number of people to switch to an free OS and encourages them to
use more free software.