[Sussex] Distros

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 5 15:09:59 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tue, 5 April, 2005 14:35, Geoffrey J. Teale said:
> That depends - if you're machine suddenly had a bios that controlled
> what you could do (in terms of DRM) and you couldn't change that, even

In those circumstances it seems fairly unlikely that you're going to get
much co-operation from anyone for replacing the DRM bios with your own.
Are we suggesting that at some point distros are going to offer people a
chance to reflash their bios? that's quite scary ;)

> though BIOS _is_ software these days then you'd have an issue.

The best thing about BIOSes is that most of their work is thrown away by
the kernel when it re-initialises all hardware ;)

> True, but it's non-free software that linux users commonly install.
> That can be changed and it will.

Indeed.

> This falls under classpath AFAIK.

I thought classpath still needed a JVM of some kind to run on?
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/stories.html#jvm

> There are many, many non Ximian developers helping out, and Ximian are
> just as much a part of the community as you or I.

My point was that Mono exists because of money, that is why there is no
GPL JVM yet.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones