[Sussex] Distros

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 5 15:30:59 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tue, 5 April, 2005 16:13, Geoffrey J. Teale said:
> Sheeesh... demanding today aren't we. :-)

Yes :)

This is the selfish bit though, I want to run video editing software and I
don't own a Windows license, so it needs to be cross-platform (or "linux"
only, which is as good as cross-platform anyway ;)

> Maybe you should take this up with the GIMP development team?

I believe it is a priority for them, it's just that to do it properly
requires quite some reworking so it can keep the entire stack in CMYK
rather than the plugin which just does a conversion at one point.

> It's GPL'd though.  Free Software isn't a "linux only" domain.

Absolutely, but to me it is just as important that software be easily
moved from one OS to another as it is that the software be Free. Having a
completely open base helps here as it makes projects like cygwin and
wingtk viable and useful.

> Debian is seriously behind the times.

meh, sid is pretty current. It's no gentoo, but then on the upside it's no
gentoo ;)

> That's not politics that's recognition.  You _cannot_ use Linux in any
> meaningful way without using the major elements of the GNU operating
> system which pre-existed Linux.

The last thing we need to do right now is fork this thread onto GNU/Linux
as well, so I would like to retract diplomatically ;)

> Yup.. and guess what organisation's name that falls under "Debian"
> ;-).  It's been about for a while (that text was written in 2002).

Fair enough. I knew Debian were doing a Hurd thing, but I didn't realise
it was the Hurd thing. Then again they are doing some weird NetBSD thing
too, so there's obviously too much crack being smoked there ;)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net