[Sussex] Sun, licenses, etc..

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Apr 6 10:40:42 UTC 2005

So.. Mr. Schwartz at Sun has criticised the GPL:

http://news.com.com/Sun+criticizes+popular+open-source+license/2100-7344_3-5656047.html?tag=nefd.top

.. the isn't surprising given that Sun basically want to have the
marketing advantage of saying it's "Open Source" without having to
really be F/OSS.  A point Dobbo has made many times :-)

His arguments about the passing on of the license with the code remind
me, in some respects of the objections aired here about the invariant
sections of the GFDL (I'm not saying they are identical, I know there
are broader issue with the GFDL and I don't want to get into that
whole discussion again).

What worries me here is that many people seem to be adverse to the
very principals that the community is founded on but want to use the
"reflected glory" of those principals to allow them to subvert the
market.

Thoughts?

--
Geoff Teale