[Sussex] Brief introduction and Ubuntu question...

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Apr 7 08:43:52 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> writes:

> Morning folks!

Good morning...

> I briefly met one of you guys (sorry didn't get a name so can't say who
> - fella with glasses and blond hair who was installing debian at about
> 3PM?!) at the BCP do in Worthing and being a Sussex yokel thought I'd
> sign up.  I have a swift question about Ubuntu.  First though, following
> the old netiquette, I should briefly introduce myself.

--- %< -----

Welcome!

> Right, then, after that spiel, here's the question!!!  Has anyone given
> Ubuntu a thorough testing?  How does it stand up?

We use it as the basis of our application on which our business is
based and on several desktops.  We have validated the platform for use
in the clinical trials industry. We trust it implicitly.

We migrated from Debian a few months back as Debian release cycle has
become a major issue.  An alternative was to use Debian sid - we
though Ubuntu's stable release was better than Debian's unstable.

>I'm thinking of
> installing it on my laptop so I can apt away with impunity!!!  I don't
> want to have to do lots of recompiling so it would be fab if it could
> handle a winmodem (ltmodem driver?), ndiswrapper for my wireless card
> and power management (particularly a working and reliable suspend
> function) out of the box or with a quick bit of tweaking (eg: for
> ndiswrapper drivers, etc).  Also, staggeringly enough, I managed to win
> an iPod recently (heard all the abuse already, thank you!), but in order
> to connect it to my laptop reliably, I had to whip up a new kernel -
> works great however the latest kernel (2.6.11.5 as of this) locks up on
> modprobing my sound card driver (NeoMagic 256AV).  Would be very cool if
> Ubuntu likes iPods too!!

Yup.  The Hoary release is due very soon (already running it on my
desktop here) and it has everything you need.

> I also need to be able to connect to Terminal Services on the Win2K
> machines which I can merrily do with Mandrake's Virtual Network
> Connection widget.  Anyone doing that with Ubuntu?

Not personally, but the Terminal Server Client is installed under
Gnome so should be no problem.

> Any thoughts?

Go for it..

> Any future postings will be shorter due to lack of job gumph!!

Okee dokee..

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com