[Sussex] Brief introduction and Ubuntu question...

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Thu Apr 7 21:31:29 UTC 2005

Evening,

> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 15:18 +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> -----%<-----
>> I haven't chipped in with a pitch for Gentoo here as you said you
>> "didn't want to have to do lots of recompiling". The one downside of
>> Gentoo is the compile times for some packages - KDE  is the worst
>> offender in this respect.

Just as a technical aside.  The reason KDE takes longer than Gnome (a
comparable suite of software) to compile is that KDE is build around a
C++ based toolkit (Qt) and Gnome uses a C based toolkit (Gtk+).  C++
is a massively more complex language to compile than C and thus takes
a lot longer.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org