[Sussex] Brief introduction and Ubuntu question...

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Fri Apr 8 10:34:41 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:

> Actually more of a Littlehamptonian but its all the same on the inside!

Ha! one of those "Western Furriners" <g>

> Then again Bognor is a little further on and there be dragons, so...

and Faries once you get to Portsmouth ;)

> Found it very difficult to find anything in the area when I was looking
> - thought I was condemned to a London commute at one point.

I came down here 30 years ago to work in Lancing for Link-Miles, left them
about 5 years ago to go freelance.

> Are you contracting or looking for something long term?

Either. I'm more interested in an interesting job than making a lot of money.

> Ah, brothers in ... er ... beaks? red swirls?

Black Polo shirts with Red swirls judging by the uniform at the fair. Note:
must convince Frances to get one if she is going to be a regular.

> Broadcom chipset - Linksys WPC11v4.

Hmm... I'm sure there is an open source driver for that.

> Why not ndiswrapper?

I have a D-Link DWL-650+ it uses the ACX100 chipset for which there is an
open source driver. One of the developers did some comparisons between the
OS driver and ndis wrapper. You get better throughput and lower processor

Also if the Linux community start using ndis wrapper for devices there will
be no leverage from the Open Source community to get manufacturers to
release specs, which will impair our ability to write any native drivers.

See: http://acx100.sourceforge.net/ndis_cludge.html

> Not a glitch in sight

Just wait until they upgrade the driver.

> and A LOT more reliably than using the supplied drivers
> on a win2k laptop.

odd, since you are really using the same drivers, just goes to show how
buggy the Windows infrastructure layers must be.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?