[Sussex] Do we confuse you?

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Apr 9 00:28:43 UTC 2005

"Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl at jorgensen.com> writes:

> For me, the worst possible acronym is the "Y2K" problem.  Which was
> basically caused by *shortening* the notation for years (yes: I know
> there was more to it than that, but hear me through).  Ironically
> enough we decided to *shorten* the name we gave to the problem (!).  I
> find that rather ironic...

Worse still, to many a computer geek "K" = 1024 (which is a problem,
because in the "real world" "K" always means 1000).

So what is it - do we have 1000 bytes in a Kilobyte or do are we
expecting all the computers to fail in the year 2048?  Does this mean
I get another bonus?  ;-)

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org