[Sussex] Do we confuse you?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Apr 9 17:16:33 UTC 2005

John

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 04:38:28PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I originally had a reply that would probably have gone to several
> printed pages, but was feeling lazy :-P so these two links pretty much
> spell it out!
>
> http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/
> and
> http://www.wordcentre.co.uk/page8.htm

And both site object to jargon which I am arguing is a necessary part of
technical communication.  The building trade has its own technical jargon
to describe lots of different bits of wood that depends upon where that
bit of wood is placed and what it is intended to do.  The IT industry is
no different.  If IT jargon is more widely encountered than that of other
industries it is because IT as more of a direct impact on our daily lives.

My "Oxford Dictionary of English" defines "jargon" as:

    noun - special words or expressions used by a particular profession
    or group that are difficult for others to understand.

Let's for an example take the jargon word "spam".  My dictionary defines
"spam" as:

    noun - irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet
    to a large number of newsgroups or users.

Not the best definition but one I'll accept for the purposes of this
e-mail.

I don't want to write "That is an irrelevant or inappropriate message sent
on the Internet to a large number of newsgroups or users; delete it".  I
just want to write: "That's spam; delete it!"

Now I am not objecting to most of the goals of the above sites.  Good
grammar, spelling and punctuation do help in conveying understanding, and
I try my best there.  But if you reference the plain English site and say
that they "pretty much spell it out" then I can only assume they you are
against jargon too.

> If you really need an example of what I'd consider "dumbing down", then
> this http://brain.cx/DNS-HOWTO/index.html is a fine example (though I
> did find it rather amusing).

Well that goes a little far.  I don't even find it funny.   The bad
language just gets in the way.  Now I don't object to the odd expletive
deleted every once in a while, I've been know to use them myself from time
to time - even in mixed company :-)  Of course if the author of that
"lesson" was really cleaver he would have found a way to inject the humour
without the four letter words.  And a really funny lesson would probably
help you remember who DNS really works.

Steve

> p.s. Oh, and while I remember to ask, what's the date of the next "fair"
> that "we're"(?) due to be at, so that I can check my roster to see if I
> can make it.

PPS.
The BCF Worthing event is always the first Sunday of the month.  If cal(1)
is correct then that would be the Sunday 1st May, 2005.