[Sussex] Everything going well until

steve at dobson.org steve at dobson.org
Mon Apr 11 11:29:53 UTC 2005

David

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:07:12AM +0100, David Chapman wrote:
> I was trying to setup an NFS server for my Myth box.
> 36Gb scsi drive for mp3's and a Maxtor 160Gb (/dev/hdb1) for video and an 8gb
> (/dev/hda1) for the system.
> Everything was going well until I decided that /dev/hdb1 would be better off
> as /dev/hdc1 (secondary master) pushing the idc connector back on pushed 1 of
> the pins in breaking the soldered joint from the pcb.
>
> So now I have no storage for my recordings.
>
>  Q	How long is the warranty on hard drives.

Depends upon the manufacturer I think, but some have 3 year warranties.

> 	Is this damage covered.

Most drives have a socket that covers the pins so the connector can only
go on straight and true.  You must really have been doing something odd.
If they don't replace it then I would suggest that you name and shame
(on this list at least).

>  Q	Where might I get it soldered back on. It's not difficult to get
>       to or see just very very small.

I am not expert at soldering, but I've botched a few things in my time :-)
First: which pin is it (the number)?  Second: how much of the pin is left?
Third: how accessible is that pin's wire on the PCB?

In a drive I just happen to have here I could patch a link from the cable
to a solder point near the connector to the cable itself.  This would, of
course, make the cable permanently connected to the drive.

> Q	Where to get a new drive (cheap)

Dabs.com or scan.co.uk are my normal places to buy drives