[Sussex] BCF Success - Thanks to Steve D, Colin T and Karl J

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Apr 11 12:56:50 UTC 2005

nik butler wrote:

>> I win, I win: 10 & 3.  That is working, or could work if powered,
>> they have boot media and network.  ;-)
>>

> Do we get to count all the pcs in storage and laptops in storage ? I
> think i could really win !

If any of you people who are awash in kit ever need to get rid of any, I
do some work for a charity in Hailsham (East Sussex) that recycles old
gear and ships it out to schools both in England and in places like
Zimbabwe and Uganda.  URL is :-

http://www.computersforcharities.org

We're always after more kit (particularly power leads at the moment -
anyone have any spares?) so if you'd like to get a little of the
feelgood factor by donating stuff, please drop me a line.  Hope that's
not too cheeky!!!

We use debian at the moment as a central file server to store hard disk
images which we then clone onto multiple prepared machines.  We were
using a remote root NFS system but have now moved to Ghost using Samba
to serve the image file directories across the network.  Just finished a
batch of 200 base units that are going to 12 schools in South Africa.
Unfortunately I haven't yet convinced them that Linux would be a good OS
for the base units, so they're win2k at the moment!  :-(

Incidentally, Steve, I liked the sound of your handy debian mirror.  How
d'ya do that then?  Any howtos around?  We don't have internet access at
the workshop so a portable mirror would be fab!

Cheers
--
Ronan

e: ronan at thelittledot.com