[Sussex] Everything going well until

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Mon Apr 11 18:18:21 UTC 2005

David Chapman wrote:
> I was trying to setup an NFS server for my Myth box.
> 36Gb scsi drive for mp3's and a Maxtor 160Gb (/dev/hdb1) for video and an 8gb
> (/dev/hda1) for the system.
> Everything was going well until I decided that /dev/hdb1 would be better off
> as /dev/hdc1 (secondary master) pushing the idc connector back on pushed 1 of
> the pins in breaking the soldered joint from the pcb.
>
> So now I have no storage for my recordings.
>
>  Q	How long is the warranty on hard drives.

First there is the law and you have an automatic 1 year warranty in UK
(Most of Europe it is 2 years, not in UK) and thing extra is bonus and
not a legal right.

> 	Is this damage covered.

Nope as made the damaged it a big no, no.  They are not to blame for
this happing.

>  Q	Where might I get it soldered back on. It's not difficult to get to or see
> just very very small.

If can well done because I couldn't.

> Q	Where to get a new drive (cheap)

At a computer fair, or www.novatech.co.uk

I wouldn't give money to those at DABS again!  Get the hint!