[Sussex] Mail for Nik

steve at dobson.org steve at dobson.org
Tue Apr 12 13:49:04 UTC 2005

Richie

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:21:57PM +0100, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> steve at dobson.org wrote:
> >Richie
> >
> >On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:25:52PM +0100, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> >
> >>Been trying to remember that nice tar statement you advocated at the
> >>last moot to copy dirs over - can you send it to me please?
> >

> >He didn't get it right on the slide, IIRC, but here is my version that
> >works:
> >
> >  (cd <src-dir> && tar cf - .) | (cd <dst-dir> && tar xcf -)
> >
> >Steve
>
> Incidentally, can you think of a way to do it incrementally?  I.e. I am
> currently copying users home dirs over - but I then want to pickup any
> last-minute changes.
>
> Any thoughts, or do I have to wait until everyone has gone home :(

It would probably be best to wait until they have gone home.  You
could try rsync, but that will work out what needs to be copied before
it starts coping (I think).  The danger is that if a user edits something
after a copy has been determined but before the copy is made then the
last set of user edits will be lost.