[Sussex] HDPARM

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Tue Apr 12 23:24:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:35:39AM +0100, Angelo Servini wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ive discovered a link that shows how to get extra performance from
> your Hard Disk drive called HDPARM.  Watch out though, it can damage
> your filesystem.  Anyone have any experience of using this facility?

I've played with it. I found it handy for switching DMA on the disks if
the kernel did not default to it...

But hdparm should no longer be necessary, as the kernel should [1]
expose the necessary settings in e.g. /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings:
    # cd /proc/ide/ide0/hda
    # cat settings
    # echo using_dma:0 > settings   # switch DMA off
    # echo using_dma:1 > settings   # switch DMA on

etc.

I still keep hdparm around because of the man page ;-)

[1] depends on your kernel config etc

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jørgensen