More "Samba woes" Was:[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Apr 13 09:47:57 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:
> Well, I never did find a "stand alone" app called SWAT, but something
> that I found at the SAMBA site pointed out that SWAT is part of the
> "samba suite"?

Precisely right!  SWAT is distributed with Samba.  However most
distributions seem to chop it off into a seperate package (non-gentoo
speak again!! ;-) ).  It is basically a set of perl scripts with a built
in web server.  You set up inetd / xinetd (or whatever superserver
gentoo uses) to listen to port 901 for swat requests.

> Anyway, Dave Chapman mentioned that you can configure Samba from Webmin
> (and SWAT for that matter).

You can indeed use webmin, but last time i looked, webmin just shelled
out to swat anyway.  That may well have changed now though.

> For example, if I go into webmin>servers>samba I end up with Unix
> Networking, Misc options, SWAT, windows networking, winbind
> options,authentication, file share defaults, windows to unix printint
> and printer file share defaults, And that's just from the Global
> Configuration options! without even starting with "samba users" options.
> Phew, it'd be just great, if I had the faintest idea of where to start!
>
> Not that the "Webminguide.pdf" is much help - that also provides
> information overload!
>
> All I would like to achieve, is for Clare to be able to plug her laptop
> into the hub and be able to print stuff without having to reboot the
> system into windows (we did already manage to set that up, but I think I
> screwed it up with meddling) - the fileshare thing is not a problem if
> all the info in on the laptop.

When you say you screwed it up, what doesn't work now?  Does the laptop
see the printer at all?  Does it see it but can't connect? Does it send
documents but nothing comes out?  Does it print garbage?

Printer configuration can be tricky with samba - bit of a black art of
which I am not a master by ANY stretch of the imagination.  My
workstation uses cups to configure the printer and then pipe requests
across from samba to the cups queue.

Have a crack at the SWAT option in webmin and let me know what happens.
 Could you stick your smb.conf file somewhere accessible?  Might be
worth people here having a look to see if there's any obvious
naughtiness going on.

Cheers
--
Ronan