More "Samba woes" Was:[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 13 16:35:13 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:37 +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
>

>>John - I do have the O'Reilly Samba book which is quite good at explaining
>>how it all works - with pictures even! You can borrow it if you want.
>>

>I'll give it a bit longer Colin, and if I can't get anywhere, if its OK
>with you, I'll mail you direct for directions and for when you'll be in.

John,

SWAT will run fine as long as the following are set:

1. Apache server running.

> /etc/init.d/apache2 (re)start

2. SWAT listed in /etc/services on port 901/TCP:

> swat        901/tcp                # SWAT

3. /etc/xinetd.d/swat is set correctly, eg:

> # default: off
> #           to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
> #           connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-fs/samba/files/swat.xinetd,v
> 1.4 2004/07/18 03:55:05 dragonheart Exp $
>
> service swat
> {
>     port                = 901
>     socket_type    = stream
>     wait                = no
>     only_from       = localhost 192.168.???.???/24
>     user                = root
>     server              = /usr/sbin/swat
>     log_on_failure += USERID
>     disable             = no
> }

in particular the disable option has to be set to no. You can set
whatever network IP stuff you like in only_from.

4. xinetd is running (or restarted after the mods above).

> /etc/init.d/xinetd (re)start

Now you should get a swat lgon prompt when you access:

http://localhost:901

Hope this helps.

Steve W.