More "Samba woes" Was:[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 17:10:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 17:35 +0100, Steve Williams wrote:

> John,
>
> SWAT will run fine as long as the following are set:
>
> 1. Apache server running.
>
> > /etc/init.d/apache2 (re)start
>

> 2. SWAT listed in /etc/services on port 901/TCP:
>
> > swat        901/tcp                # SWAT
>

> 3. /etc/xinetd.d/swat is set correctly, eg:
>
> > # default: off
> > #           to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
> > #           connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
> > # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-fs/samba/files/swat.xinetd,v
> > 1.4 2004/07/18 03:55:05 dragonheart Exp $
> >
> > service swat
> > {
> >     port                = 901
> >     socket_type    = stream
> >     wait                = no
> >     only_from       = localhost 192.168.???.???/24
> >     user                = root
> >     server              = /usr/sbin/swat
> >     log_on_failure += USERID
> >     disable             = no
> > }
>
> in particular the disable option has to be set to no. You can set
> whatever network IP stuff you like in only_from.
>
> 4. xinetd is running (or restarted after the mods above).
>
> > /etc/init.d/xinetd (re)start
>

> Now you should get a swat lgon prompt when you access:
>
> http://localhost:901
>
> Hope this helps.

Curiouser and curiouser. I was under the impression that SWAT was just a
samba "thing".

Does it really need to have apache running? Cos I don't "do" apache i.e.
I know "bog all" about servers and the like!

Though it does give me a few things to look at (not that I understand
what they are?!?!?!).

Cheers for the pointer though Steve.

regards

John D.

p.s. If I dig in me ears long enough, will it remove the concrete that
seems to be filling my head :-?