[Sussex] Connecting Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.1 [Was: Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP]

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Wed Apr 13 22:07:10 UTC 2005

Aha,

Having spent the last three hours trying to sift through
web-sites, search engines, paper books, HOW-TO's, etc.,
etc., etc., trying to get my two Slackware 10.1 boxes
talking to each other (I wasted SuSE for now, maybe the 9.2
freebie from Linux Format is broken but the Slackware distro
from the current issue seems OK) I've finally found out that
I probably have a hardware problem.  I've been using a basic
phone cable, the kind that connects a handset to the phone
itself, well it **seemed** to fit, now I find out that I
should be using a crossover cable, I think.  Before I end up
spending parting with more of my hard-earned cash, hacking
is an expensive addiction, could anyone confirm if this is
true.  My network cards seem to work OK when I enter
"ifconfig eth0" on both machines but as there both on-board
cards they don't have any leds so I don't know if they can
talk to each other.  Am I doomed to buying more hardware?

The shopping list just grows and grows (8-port hub, third
monitor, 4-way extension cable, 3 small hard drives, box of
floppy disks, extra shelving, .... ).

Captain Redbeard.

  'This isn't looking so hot, is it?  I mean, the Turings
are
on to it.  I was thinking maybe we should try to bail out.
I can take you.'

  'Yeah?  No shit?  You don't wanna see what that
Chinese program can do?'

  'Well, I ...' Case stared at the green walls of the T-A
ice.  'Well, screw it.  Yeah, we run'

 -- William Gibson, "Neuromancer".