[Sussex] Connecting Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.1 [Was: Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP]

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 13 22:23:03 UTC 2005

Captain Redbeard wrote:

> Aha,
>
> Having spent the last three hours trying to sift through web-sites,
> search engines, paper books, HOW-TO's, etc., etc., etc., trying to get
> my two Slackware 10.1 boxes talking to each other (I wasted SuSE for
> now, maybe the 9.2 freebie from Linux Format is broken but the
> Slackware distro from the current issue seems OK) I've finally found
> out that I probably have a hardware problem.  I've been using a basic
> phone cable, the kind that connects a handset to the phone itself,
> well it **seemed** to fit, now I find out that I should be using a
> crossover cable, I think.  Before I end up spending parting with more
> of my hard-earned cash, hacking is an expensive addiction, could
> anyone confirm if this is true.  My network cards seem to work OK when
> I enter "ifconfig eth0" on both machines but as there both on-board
> cards they don't have any leds so I don't know if they can talk to
> each other.  Am I doomed to buying more hardware?
>
> The shopping list just grows and grows (8-port hub, third monitor,
> 4-way extension cable, 3 small hard drives, box of floppy disks, extra
> shelving, .... ).

If you've got ethernet cards in both PCs a crossover cable is the way to
go, and easy to wire up if you've got the necessary crimp tool. If you
want I'll wire one up for you.

Connect the two together, then if you can ping one from t'other you're
in business - no leds needed.

The only snag is that some network cards can be a bit finicky about
peer-to-peer crossover cables - you'll just have to try it and see.

Steve Williams.