[Sussex] Mail client suggestions

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 00:33:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:41:50PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:39:04PM +0100, Alan F wrote:
> > As much as I like mutt, you might not have noticed in his post he said
> > that he didn't find slypheed very user friendly, which sort of rules
> > mutt out.. :-)
>
> Interesting.  How did you come to that conclusion?

Mainly because mutt has no interface of its own for configuration. To
setup mutt, one has to at least read the manual page for muttrc,
probably refer to a few sample muttrc files, then create a muttrc with
their text editor of choice. I'm not saying there's anything wrong
with that; I've got my mutt setup exactly the way I want it and
appreciate how configurable it is (I'd be pretty pissed if I lost my
muttrc). What I am saying though, is that this process isn't most
people's idea of user friendly. You also need to be comfortable with a
console text editor (not a big issue since one could use nano/pico
with mutt), and learn various keystrokes. Most e-mail users don't want
or even need to learn such things just to send and receive emails when
they can install and configure evolution/thunderbird/other gui email
client in a matter minutes.

Hope this makes some sense,
Alan