[Sussex] Dual Boot

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Thu Apr 14 06:54:34 UTC 2005

Gavin Stevens wrote:

> My partner, Tracy, is very keen for me to install Ubuntu on her PC. This
> will make it a dual boot system.

As others have said - good! I've just realised that one of my systems is
actually still dual boot, Debian/WinNT but since it defaults to Debian I'd
forgotten. (Before anyone asks why WinNT? it's so I can run my PDP-11 emulator.)

> She currently has Windows 98 SE (yuk) on her machine. There is only the
> one "partition" at present - namely the whole 80GB HDD (I had to build
> the system quickly after her old PC died so that she could continue
> working & never got round to doing proper partitions).

I would recommend shrinking the Windows partition as much as possible and
use the reclaimed space for Ubuntu. I have a floppy based copy of Partition
Magic that can do the shrinking if you want to borrow it.

Once that is done you can just install Ubuntu remembering to do the
partitioning manually or it will delete any existing ones. Oh, and do a
backup before you do anything else!

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 Those that know binary, and those that don't.