[Sussex] Connecting Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.1 [Was: Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP]

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Apr 14 09:36:48 UTC 2005

Ronan

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:06:44AM +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> steve at dobson.org wrote:
> > Okay, so you only need four of the lines for networking but
> > they are not the same four lines as used by an RJ45.  You can
>
> Or 8 if you want 100Mbps.

How are the 8 lines used?

I thought that 100Mbps was due to the quality of the wire not to
the number.

I ask because I think you can have Power Over Ethernet (PoE) over
standard Cat5(E) cable.  You need a special (and expensive) switch
but the system can be used in existing installations.  I thought
the PoE used two unused lines to provide the power.