[Sussex] Compression , Encryption and Silliness

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Thu Apr 14 20:02:59 UTC 2005

nik wrote:

> So ... on really small files compression adds overhead ( obvious that )
> ... Note though that the .gz file and .tgz file are not exactly plain
> text either ... though not truly encypted I leave it to the clever dicks
> here to work out this file. ( ive removed the extension to add a layer
> of difficulty )
> nik at crudpuppy:~/tmp$ cat TestFileExample

True but you do know it tries to compress the file before Encrypting the
file.  The reason why files are compress before encrypted as it makes it
harder to decrypted as one of the side effects of compression is data
becomes gibberish.

To provide the point the best one I know is with JPEG file.  The
encrypted data normally is smaller encrypted then it was before. But
there only so many times this can be done, as such an overhead can take
place with file which has already be compressed.

PS there is no such thing as compress a file can not be done, the
correct terminology is "Data Re-encoding".  I only know this as knew
people behind lha and lzx "Data Re-encoders".  In my Amiga days.