[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Apr 14 21:20:48 UTC 2005

Thomas

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:06:40PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > You could probably learn some basic C++ is _less_ time that Java
> > because Java relies so much on it's environment (the toolset and
> > packages really define the language in Java's case).
>
> Ummm... perhaps.  But you have to remember that C++ is a hybrid language
> in many respects.  It's just an extension of C with the OO part added on
> for good measure.  With Java, it's OO in the sense that you can only
> work in that way.

No, I believe that is true of smalltalk because (I was told) you can
inherit from any type.  There are a number of scalar types in Java that
you can't inherit from: int, float and boolean for example.

Of course there are the objects that represent the scalar types, but
by having them I don't think you can say that in Java you can only
work that way.

I will not forget you.