[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Thu Apr 14 22:46:56 UTC 2005

>This is very true.  Stroustrup's "C++ Programming Language" is the
>bible, but it is more a reference guide when you know what you're doing
>than a starter guide.  I learnt C++ so long ago that I wouldn't even
>attempt to recommend a book to teach the subject.

If you're a cheapskate like I was when I started, get an ancient book
about C from the public library. It will have been written in 198x, but
will give you a thorough grounding in memory management, functions,
pointers etc. that most C++ books that I've seen friends with seem to
ignore as being 'too difficult' (or beyond the 24 hours they claim to take!)

gcc will cope happily with C and once you know that well, C++ isn't too
big a step up - just use what you need from the STL.

Warning: If you want to learn C/C++ (and I _really_ recommend it), don't
expect pretty graphics any time soon. The libraries tend to be wierd and
wonderful - you'll be 'printf'ing for some time yet!

Rupert