[Sussex] Wireless woes

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Thu Apr 14 23:12:24 UTC 2005

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 01:04 +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>
>>Been faffing around trying to get the new wireless router working. It
>>works. Good.
>>
>>Now to get linux to see it.
>>I got the card working - wlan0 appears.
>>iwlist shows the network.
>>I've switched off encryption.
>>
>>But even given the right ESSID, the mac address shown for AP is 0.0.0....
>>
>>I'm completely stumped. It's a crappy .b card, but I've enabled
>>mixed-mode on the router. Could it be something to do with that?
>

> Make sure the card is in "Infrastructure" or "Ad-Hoc" mode.  I got
> caught out by this many, many times before I realised what was
> wrong... :)
>
> HTH,
>
> Matt

Hmmm... Thanks. I've got school in the morning, so I'll have to try that
tomorrow (and work out what the heck I've done).

Incidentally, what I'm doing at the moment is running my laptop on XP
and using it as a sort of stupidly overpowered bridge, connected to me
by a cable. It works except for when it goes into powersaving and the
connection goes poof!

Pretty bad for self-esteem too... :)

Rupert