[Sussex] "stterm"

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Apr 16 00:06:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 00:29 +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> In case anyone's interested, I recently wrote a program that I've called
> stterm, for want of a better name.

Good stuff.

> The idea is that instead of doing my silly trick of opening an xterm and
> doing gymnastics with your fingers and cd to get to the directory you
> wanted to be working in, you just add a common directory to a list in
> this gtk based app, which you can get to with just a couple of keypresses.

Yup, I see what you're getting at.

> If there's a better way, please let me know... (politely?)

I think konqueror and kate (KDE apps) allow you to keep a terminal
emulator "bolted" to them that can be forced to stay with their context
(changing directory with you), emacs dired mode does this as well.

However none of these apps provide quite the "bookmark list" approach
you have hear.  I can definitely see how some people might find this
useful.

One oddness, the code builds fine on my main Arch Linux boxes, but not
on a Novell Linux Desktop box I've been playing with (don't ask).  I
haven't gotten to the bottom of this (haven't even tried), but it seems
to be requiring a:

#include <stdio.h>

.. in dirlist.c and a:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

in general_widgets.c.  Even with those rather "hacky" fixes it doesn't
seem to like GtkFileChooserButton at all - seems likely that this is an
issue with Novell's setup rather than your work.

--
Geoffrey Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation