[Sussex] CD-R in Ubuntu

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun Apr 17 00:28:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:03:16 +0100
Rupert Swarbrick <rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net> wrote:

> Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone managed to write CDs in Ubuntu?
> >
> > If so, I would greatly appreciate the know-how on achieving this.
> > Google revealed that the www was a bit scant on useful information
> > on this subject (plenty of older info, but not much up to date
> > stuff).
> >
> Although there are prettier (and probably faster) ways to do it, if
> you just need something that works, use xcdroast.
>
> It's really easy - you don't need to do much in the way of reading man
> pages as everything's GUI and I worked it out in about 10mins.
>
> I recommend using the SCSI emulation even though you don't have to as
> it seems to speed up probing the device, which can get a bit
> irritating if it's not set.

I looked at Xcdroast & added the device (not with any SCSI references),
but it wouldn't recognise it a cd writer, it was unshakeable in its
belief that it was a "generic CDROM".

I could do with a reminder of how to setup SCSI emulation - it's been a
while since I last tried.
I shall persevere with Xcdroast, gtoaster, cdrtoaster & cdrecord itself,
along with reading & (hopefully) learning more.