[Sussex] Elderly Aunts with computer problems (windows ones :-( )

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 14:44:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:59 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, 18 April, 2005 8:52, John D. said:
> > partition for her data "a la linux" like a seperate /home, does that
> > logic still hold for windows systems, if she were to have any other
>
> Not really. You can obviously tell things to save your files to your D:
> drive (or whatever letter it gets), but it's not the same as having /home
> on a separate partition. You can get it closer by changing the registry to
> repoint things like My Documents to the drive and on newer windows
> versions you can put your profile into another directory, but nothing will
> protect you from stupid software that assumes it is installed on C: and
> all its files are going on C:
> So, I'd say that encouraging her to keep backups on the 128mb keys is more
> likely to save everything she wants in the event of a failure.

So, if I was too set it up so that she knows to save any future data etc
to say a "D" drive??

Obviously once I can get it "working" properly, she'd have access to the
DVDRW that she had put in, and can do backup to a disc.

> > Also, as this main missing .dll is .Net framework related, would it
> > perhaps be better to just try and download and install the .Net stuff?
>
> Sure, but you'll be wanting to take the PC to a decent net connection
> first. Even if not for that, the re-install will leave you downloading a
> lot of stuff, from patches to IE to service packs to all the tools you
> need to make a PC safe, etc, etc. :/

Ah, yes, thats a damn good idea, because I suppose a fresh install +
patches etc would take forever with dialup.

John D.