[Sussex] Elderly Aunts with computer problems (windows ones :-( )

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 15:47:32 UTC 2005

Hi John,

Just out of interest have you tried installing the .net framework on the
machine, either remove and install or install as it may not be on there?

The .net framework wasn't designed for win98se that much, have you used
Google to see if there are any common problems with this combination, if
there are then it is unlikely that a reinstall will help.

Considering that could be the possibility try and get her to upgrade to
windows 2000, (depending what her system specs are)

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.

The
> > mscoree.dll is indeed part of .NET..
>
> Ah, I did wonder why it seemed to concern the .NET stuff - It's making
> sense now.
>
> > > My real question, is that if I do the re-install, but prior to
that, I
> > > shrink the file system with partition magic and then make a
seperate
> > > partition for her data "a la linux" like a seperate /home, does
that
> > > logic still hold for windows systems, if she were to have any
other
> > > problems like this? (perhaps I should have just said "is there any
point
> > > in having a seperate data partition).
> >
> > Yes this will work, you can keep that as a separate mount point
"D:\"
> > (or whatever) and be careful to retain it between rebuilds.
>
> I wonder if making the seperate "D" drive partition first and then
doing
> the re-install would make the necessary mount point(s)? Obviously I'd
> just be telling "it" to install to the "C" drive partition, plus I
> understand that windies would then detect the other hardware items
> (CDROM, DVDRW, Floppy, etc) and auto allocate appropriate drive
letters.

> > > Oh and for info, her local computer shop seem to think that the a
> > > re-install should cure the problem(s), though I suspect that there
could
> > > be an issue about any missing patches etc that where produced by
MS over
> > > the years before they stopped supporting W98 - I suppose that they
might
> > > have them in their archives.
> >
> > Yes.  Also the computer shop may just be saying rebuild it because
> > they say that whenever there's a problem.
>
> That did occur to me. I suppose if you're in that sort of business,
it's
> often easier/quicker to do the rebuild than go digging round to find
out
> what the _actual_ problem is. Though I'm thinking that when she took
it
> to the shop, they must have done some checking too try to find out if
> the DVDRW that they installed was faulty/OK and come up with the
> missing .dll(s).
>
> > > Also, as this main missing .dll is .Net framework related, would
it
> > > perhaps be better to just try and download and install the .Net
stuff?
> > > She uses dialup, I'm thinking that it might be less hassle to try
that
> > > as even though it's 20 + megs and would take a while, it'd be
safer to
> > > try that ??
> >
> > Hmm,  if the software needs the framework it should be installing
the
> > dependencies of telling you to do so.
> >
> > .NET applications come as assemblies that actually know what they
> > depend on (in terms of .Net Libraries) - you should get sensible
> > messages that tell you what's missing if anything.
>
> -----%<-----
>
> Ok, I can see that. I suppose that she may have "lost" a .dll when
she's
> been playing with the system! Don't know. Shes quite well versed in
> being careful normally (your quote of hitting the wrong key and the PC
> exploding comes to mind Geoff). I know that about the time she had the
> DVDRW fitted, she also bought herself a book about Photoshop Elements
> that had a time limited trial - then managed to get sold a copy of PS
> (version 3) by Jessops, even though it apparently won't install on
> anything earlier than W2K/Millenium (they did a refund, even though
> she'd "broken the seal" and ordered her a copy of PS E version 2,
which
> is the full version of the trial/book copy - which I thought was
> reasonably good customer service - she is "knocking" 80 but has
managed
> to keep most/all of her marbles).
>
> > Obviously I will just finish by saying - hey, isn't time your aunt
> > tried Linux?
>
> Yes, I've even done a knoppix demo, but to no avail. I got the stock
> answer of having to learn how to use what she already has etc etc.
plus