[Sussex] Elderly Aunts with computer problems (windows ones :-( )

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 01:46:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 16:43 +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Just out of interest have you tried installing the .net framework on the
> machine, either remove and install or install as it may not be on there?
>
> The .net framework wasn't designed for win98se that much, have you used
> Google to see if there are any common problems with this combination, if
> there are then it is unlikely that a reinstall will help.
>
> Considering that could be the possibility try and get her to upgrade to
> windows 2000, (depending what her system specs are)

No I haven't. She e-mailed to tell me what "that helpful man at the
computer shop" had told her. I'd seen part of the problem i.e. that it
didn't matter what she tried, this new DVDRW just won't write to discs
(which is why it visited the "shop" to start with).

I sort of suspect that W98SE wasn't really designed with multi format
DVD burners in mind either. So I'd imagine that theres plenty of scope
for system incompatibility.

She only mentioned the one specific missing .dll which google provided
info that was .NET framework related.

Windows 2k? Hum, hadn't thought of that. Though I suspect that I'd get
beaten over the head with the fixed income excuse, which to be fair,
with the retired, is hard to argue against (plus interminable stories of
when she was a girl, you'd still have change from a night out dancing, a
visit to the pictures, a portion of fish and chips and the bus ride
home).

As for the theoretical possibility of W2k? I'd have to get exact system
specs etc.

regards

John D.