[Sussex] Cleaning recommendation?

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 19 07:15:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 19:54 +0100, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 19:10 +0100, Fleming, Frances wrote:
> > Hi there, all ...
>
> Evening
>
> -------- %< ------------
> > What does anyone think I should best do? Paintbrush and vacuum combo or
> > compressed aerosol
>
> I swear by the later.  Compressed air cans from a photography shop are
> best.
>
> > There were a couple of floppies lying out as well: do you think they
> > would have been damaged? :(
>
> Possibly, and harder to fix!

Here's another tip I've used on processors that have been fouled up by
too much (electrically conductive) heat sink paste. Remove the processor
and spray copious quantities of aerosol car brake cleaner at the
offending paste until no trace of it can be seen. It seems rather
extreme, but I've rescued 3 processors this way.

I've no doubt you could try it on other electrical items if nothing else
works, but I've never needed to resort to this on things other than
processors. I guess you could try it as a last resort on floppy disks if
you REALLY needed the info from them.

 The brake cleaner is available at Halfords.

Steve W.