[Sussex] Cleaning recommendation?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Apr 19 07:40:36 UTC 2005

Frances

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:03:04PM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I did start two of my computers up before starting the
> > cleaning, i.e. when the carpet and tables were still dusty, and only
> > when I got to work today, did someone suggest they were probably chock
> > full of the stuff :(
>
> Actually, probably not. Still It's worth a quick look inside, you will
> probably be surprised how much fluff and other stuff is in there. I'd say
> use the vacuum, but leave the mains cord connected to the PC so it's
> earthed. You also need to watch you don't knock any of the little jumper
> plugs or switches. Just a quick wave of the hose close above each part is
> usually enough to get most of the dust out.
>
> At least brick dust is non-conducting and so a little bit won't hurt.
>
> If you find a lot of dust in any of the computers it is worth paying special
> attention to the various fans. I often unclip the processor fan and give it
> a good blow/suck through the vanes of the heat sink.

If you are going to use a vacuum then remember that the motor on it is
quite powerful and puts out a fair EM field.  While it probably isn't
enough to effect the data stored on your disks why take the risk.  Keep
the motor unit as far form your computers as possible.

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are
totally worthless.