[Sussex] CAD

John Gregory john_gregory at onetel.com
Fri Apr 22 09:51:26 UTC 2005

As a long standing Autocad user I was very interested to read about
BricsCad. I have downloaded the Windows version and played around with
it last night.

It is a modified Intellicad and is extremely functional. As far as i can
tell it will do everything that you can do in AutoCAD however there are
a few problems with file compatibility. I can get it to load Autocad
original drawings and dxf files but exporting drawings back to AutoCAD
dwg and dxf formats is not perfect. with my old Win 3.1 version of
AutoCAD LT running on XP. (Despite the claimed ability to exback to
AutoCAD ver 2. This is only a problem for me because I have to send
large drawings out to be plotted and compatibility is essential.

Having said that it is as good as IntelliCad, better than many other CAD
programs, reasonable in price ($450) and when there is a stable Linux
version I will buy it. (Their web site is asking for beta testers).

John Gregory