[Sussex] Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Paul reality at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Apr 22 21:07:03 UTC 2005

------------------------------
Message: 8
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:23:43 +0100
From: Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org>
Subject: Re: [Sussex] Debian /etc/network/interfaces
To: LUG email list for the Sussex Counties <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>

Paul wrote:
> Have you tried simply adding "ifconfig wlan0 up" at the end of the
> configuration script, to bring the card up with new settings??

Haven't tried that, but I don't think that is the problem, or not the only
one. After I insert the card it is seen by hotplug and gets hooked, or
whatever it's called. However if you then run iwconfig to see what it's been
set up as then you see all the default parameters from the driver. So it
obviously isn't executing the commands in the mapping stanza that do things
like setting the essid.
I think this might be a question for the debian-user mailing list.

Colin

Colin,

I *think* this is kind of the point of running "ifconfig wlan0 up"
It will bring the card back up, with the new parameters you've just set.
So, without ending your script with that, the card isn't "re-set" with the
new config.
As I said before, I'm not entirely sure about this, but it must be worth
trying. I always end with the "ifconfig XXXX up" command & haven't had any
problems with settings not being properly applied.

Paul.M.