[Sussex] CD-R in Ubuntu

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Apr 25 19:06:45 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:39:50 +0100
Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 00:07 +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> ---- %< ------------
> > Egg on face department: My oversize wave files were caused by me
> > misunderstanding that I need .raw files for a CD-R. This is a bit of
> > hangover from Windows days, where it called them .wav files. I
> > created many CDs in Windows. I can only assume that the CD writing
> > software I used in Windows stripped the .wav headers to make .raw
> > files as it created the CD. I didn't realise that Linux software
> > doesn't, in general, seem to do this.
>
> K3b hides you from this stuff in a similar way to a windows app.  It's
> well worth trying if you don't want to worry too much about the
> details of CD buring.  It'll even let you put a hidden first track on
> an audio CD with the tick of a single checkbox.

Well, I've R'd the FMs, in fact quite a few. I've checked settings,
permissions, to the point of distraction.

I installed k3b & it looks very nice, but it isn't a happy bunny - it
just gives nicer error messages:

k3b finds the device with no problem (for the record, it's a Lite-On
SOHC 5232K DVDROM/CD-R/RW combo Rev NH05), but when I go to burn an
audio CD it says that any type of write mode is illegal or "not
supported", be it DAO, TAO, RAW or anything else. It also moans about an
error decoding the audio files (although I suspect that doesn't
necessarily have much to do with the CD-R drive itself).

Attempts to use cdrecord & cdrdao directly have also brought forth
general grumpiness of a similar nature.

Looking at the device manager (is this Hal?) in Ubuntu, it seems to
recognise the drive correctly: it has a "1" by CD-R, CD-RW & DVD read.
k3b similarly seems to understand what the drive is, it just can't talk
to it.

At this point, I am completely mystified & would appreciate any help on
correct settings that could be offered.

I have altered /etc/fstab several times in the hope that it would help.
I notice that in /etc/group, that cdrom has my user name & hal listed
next to it. Is this Hal thing good or bad; does it work properly? Or is
there some silly thing that I have missed?

Could Gnome be the problem?

This CD writing problem is a shame, because I am otherwise having huge
fun with audio in Ubuntu.

I am running Ubuntu 4.10 Warty, kernel 2.6.8.1. The installation was a
standard installation & I have only added software via Synaptic. ALSA,
OSS & esound were installed as standard.

My PC is a modern machine: Intel P4 2.8GHz, Intel D875PBZ motherboard,
512MB RAM.

TIA for any help,

Gavin.