[Sussex] Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Tue Apr 26 09:46:41 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

> I *think* this is kind of the point of running "ifconfig wlan0 up"
> It will bring the card back up, with the new parameters you've just set.
> So, without ending your script with that, the card isn't "re-set" with the
> new config.
> As I said before, I'm not entirely sure about this, but it must be worth
> trying. I always end with the "ifconfig XXXX up" command & haven't had any
> problems with settings not being properly applied.

OK, I've done some more experiments.

using ifconfig XXXX up makes no difference. I think the reason has to do
with the following:

This is a CardBus card not a PCMCIA card, so it's PCI not ISA. This means
that the PCMCIA sub-system doesn't know about the card, instead it's managed
by the hotplug system.

So, I tried it out as (effectively) a static card. I removed the hotplug
references from /etc/network/interfaces and used ifscheme as if it was a
normal pci card. After a reboot the card worked, it switched schemes ok and
behaved up to the point where I tried removing and re-inserting it, at which
point as expected it failed since hotplug didn't know about it in the
interfaces file.

So my problem seems to be that the hotplug system and the ifscheme system
are incompatible somehow - time to talk to the developers about that.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 Error 1232: Windows has run out of errors.
  Run Windows Update to download more.