[Sussex] Setting up a Dual Boot PC with XP and Ubuntu

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 26 13:22:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 15:34 +0100, Stephen Rye wrote:
> Good afternoon
>
> I have been trying to set up a Dual Boot PC and after much trial and
> error have managed to install both Windows XP and Ubuntu, in that
> order.
>
> When I boot into Ubuntu it loads correctly.
>
> However, when I attempt to boot into Windows XP the PC just hangs.
>
> Windows was installed onto the first partition on the hard disk.
>
> During the Ubuntu install, the Windows partition was correctly
> identified.
>
> My GRUB Loader settings for XP are as follows:
>
> /BOOT/GRUB/MENU.LST
>
> title           Windows NT/2000/XP
> root            (hd0,0)

This is correct if your XP install is on the first partition of your
boot hard disk. If you have a diagnostics partition (a la Dell) then you
may need to try (hd0,1).

If you boot into Ubuntu, run fdisk -l /dev/hda (or whatever your disk
is). Check the XP partition number. The second of the two numbers under
the grub menu root entry should be one less than your fdisk -l XP
partition number.

e.g.

/dev/hda5 = root (hd0,4)

You could also try: