[Sussex] Partitioning reshuffle + Possible Distro Change (maybe)?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 10:58:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 00:28 +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> The order depends on pinning if you mix sources together.  This is
> something you want to try and avoid.  Of course, as a general rule, you
> should NOT go mixing different versions of Debian over.  While there is
> a theoretical safeness to mixing Unstable and Testing (same version of
> GLIBC) dependencies are always in a state of flux in Unstable, and you
> just shouldn't do it. Pick one or t'other -- "Sarge" in your case, John.

Ok, Thanks for that Thomas. I can definitely see the wisdom of that.

My final q? is that how "testing" is testing??

i.e. while "they" seem to take a long time to move packages from
unstable to stable, do they also take forever to move packages from
testing to unstable?

Thats one thing that I appreciate with gentoo. It doesn't seem to take
them too long to test to a satisfactory level (I don't have many, if any
real problems at the moment), which over rides the slight annoyance of
some of the compile times. So even if I stick to the gentoo stable
portage tree, I still get the newer stuff relatively quickly (vvv up to
date, as opposed to cutting/bleeding edge).

regards

John D.