[Sussex] How to recover from a complete "balls up" ??

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 20:07:24 UTC 2005

Well, I've managed to "do it" again!

I was sorting out my new partitioning scheme, and after bining all my
linux partitions etc, making a new fat32 formatted partition for my
mp3's, partition magic 8 decided to reboot the system
(Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh Nooooooooo! or words to that effect), before I'd
managed to put the windows bootloader back.

So, after trying too see what I could do (if anything) with knoppix,
booting my windows XP disc and trying the "fixmbr" trick in a rescue
console, and trying to repair/replace the windows bootloader with a
mandrake 9.1 DVD, I've had to re-install the mandrake so that I've got
some sort of connection to the outside world.

The windows now starts too boot, but it then blue screens with a
"missing autocheck programme" message and just reboots after about 5
seconds.

Does anyone know how to get round that? i.e. repair the XP install
without having to re-install it? So that I can get on with the task of
doing the linux re-install (and no I haven't decided yet whether it's
gonna be gentoo or knoppix hdd install for transition to "proper"
debian)????

regards

John D.