[Sussex] Sign up for the Moot NOW!

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Apr 28 14:54:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:51 +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
<snip>
> I also note the lack of Red Hat on the distro's page :O

Anything to do with the fact that the quality of the distribution has
gone down since version 6? I tried 7 briefly and moved on to Debian some
time ago so haven't used 8 or 9, but I've had to work with RHEL 3
Workstation recently and found myself saddened at what had happened to
it. I guess it is the focus towards large business usage, but the range
of packages available through the package management seems sadly lacking
and support is only available to you if you have purchased hardware off
their supported hardware list.

OK, so this is largely a light hearted leg pulling comment (especially
since I've just noted your email address!), but having been a Red Hat
user in the past I am now working on migrating all the machines I
support that use it away from it because, ignoring some peoples
ideological objections, I don't consider the distribution to be a
particularly good one anymore - not for my usage anyway.

OK, I knew I should have stopped reading my mail, but I really didn't
expect to find a Red Hat one to set me off again :o

btw, if there's any info that may make my life supporting RHEL 3
Workstation easier I'd be more than happy to hear it (on or off list)
since I don't think the workstation clients I'm supporting are going to
be switching distro any time soon, even though the RH support won't help
with problems because the hardware is unsupported. (They told me an IDE
cdwriter wasn't supported by RH because it wasn't detected on install
and suggested I switch to Fedora - the problem when I investigated
further turned out to simply be the need to enable idescsi!).

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/