[Sussex] How to recover from a complete "balls up" ??

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Thu Apr 28 20:12:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, April 28, 2005 15:03, John D. said:
> Ha! This'll have one or two of you doubled up with laughter!

> So I'm now left with a system that will run the Windows XP, but not, at
the moment any linux.

Here is a link to do the dualboot with NTLoader:
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

As the warning goes... do not install GRUB on the MBR!

> I'm trying to think of what my options are. To start with, I'll have to
work out how I can modify the drive lettering arrangement, so that it's
back to the default i.e. the main system is in "C", and the fat32 is
whatever else - there does seem to be a facility for it to do that in
Partition Magic 8, but given my momentous success at the moment, I'm
reluctant to try that. Whether that'd clear up any partition table
problems, or if theres something else I need to do, well that's gonna be
another thing too struggle with!

This knowledge base shows how to change the drive letter of the system
drive through regedit/regedit32:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

> Ha! I've even threatened Clare with total windows annihilation, but
that'd mean delving into the realms of manual hard disc setting up,
which I know absolutely nothing about. Not to mention that I still
haven't manage to work out what the hell I need to do to set up bloody
Samba for file and print sharing! So I suppose that's out of the
equation as well for the moment?

Removing Windows would help :P

Getting samba working can be a pain, but I've set mine up so it requires
no usernames or anything. My config follows - I use the workgroup of HOME,
and everything in 192.168.2.* can access the samba shares, a printer is
available and one share (in this example):

---8<---8<---
[global]
  workgroup = HOME
  server string = Samba Server