[Sussex] Moots

Lee W sxlug-list at unassemble.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 10:24:09 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

>All
>
>First, many thanks to Mark H. for an exerlent presentation on Asterisk.
>I now have a handle to go away and build my own PBX.  If I could have
>the presentation with the (small) correction then I will try and get
>it up ASAP.  I thought that it struct the right balance between
>marking (capability) and technical (geektalk).  Those of you that
>were unable (or to lazy) to make the moot missed a good one.

My thanks as well Mark.  I had played with Asterisk very briefly before
and got completely lost, your talk has inspired me to try it again.

>The following month (June 30th) Nik B will talk about "Building a Global
>Address book with LDAP".  In July Richie said that he would like to
>talk about Wireless Mesh Networking.
>
>John [Not John D] asked about some talks aimed at the "New to Linux"
>members.  My responce to him is the same as my responce to Jon:
>    This club is run by the members for the members.  If you want
>    something doing then DO IT YOURSELF!!!  You will only get out
>    what you put in.
>

>Luckly for John, Gavin want to give a another talk aimed more at the
>"New to Linix" crowed.  Gavin I look forward to your announcement of
>the subject.  If you want the August slot shout.

I was also wondering if anyone has done a talk on Network Monitoring before?

This is my big buzz topic at present so I would be happy to give a talk
in a few months if anyone is interested (just to do my bit).
Currently the ideas I have are to describe a few of the packages
available (Nagios, Cacti, MRTG + RRDTool) and how they might be used but
if anyone would like another tool discussed I would be happy to research it.

This isn't just for businesses, home users may also find it useful for
checking that their website host is sticking to there 99.9% uptime
gurantee or so you can keep an eye on how reliable your broadband/ADSL
connection is (to name a couple of ideas).

Regards

Lee