[Sussex] This is appalling... Dutch Pass iPod Tax

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Apr 29 16:38:39 UTC 2005

Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:

>gteale at cmedresearch.com (Geoffrey J. Teale) writes:
>

>>The best thing about this is the logic.  The record companies see any
>>form of media onto which our "product" can be copied as a loss of
>>revenue.  They believe this because they can prove it is _possible_ to
>>do it on any instance of such media and they can prove that it has
>>happened on more than one occasion.  By induction they demand that the
>>purchase of such media have an additional levy to cover their costs
>>because in every instance it is possible that the user is "stealing"
>>from them.
>>

>----- %< -----
>
>My word I typed that all too fast.  I'm afraid the RIAA make me
>angrier than just about anything (except maybe OPEC.. but it's
>essentially the same ball-game).   Apologies for the lack of
>grammatical rigour.  :-)

I did hear that allegedly the RIAA have been uploading dvd copying
software to p2p sharing networks, that will erase any mp3 files (and
others) on your hard disk, on the assumption you'd only download this
software if you were pirating.  I don't know if this is really true, but
it certainly is a more agressive way of attacking the problem.  And I'd
assume that it would only affect windoze users.

P.

--

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.